STUART CHEN-HAYES, Ph.D., NCC, LCPC

I am Professor and Program Coordinator for the Counselor Education/School Counseling M.S.Ed. program in the Counseling, Leadership, Literacy, and Special Education Department (CLLSE) at Lehman College of the City University of New York www.lehman.edu....., the first public NYC CE program accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and the Council for Accreditation of Educator Programs (CAEP).

CONTACT INFO. & OFFICE HOURS

My best contact is email: stuartc@lehman.cuny.edu. My office hours are WE 3-5 in the fall and spring semesters. I am out of the office from June through August except for the one week I teach hybrid EDG 731 Sexuality Counseling in mid-July in CA hall. In the fall, I teach hybrid EDG 700 Professional Identity in Counseling (WE 5-6:40pm and 7-8:40pm) in Carman Hall Room B-85. In the spring, I teach hybrid EDG 709 Advocacy, Leadership, Consultation, and Change in Schools (WE 5-6:40pm and 7-8:40pm) in Carman Hall Room TBA. My campus mailbox is Carman Hall B-20, the CLLSE Department office. The CLLSE Department Secretary is Ms. Carmen Garcia carmen.garcia2@lehman.cuny.edu.

COUNSELOR EDUCATION/SCHOOL COUNSELING M.S.Ed. OPEN HOUSES

I host CE/SC M.S.Ed. open houses the first Tuesday of October & December 2019 and February and March, 2020, from 6-7:30 pm in Carman Hall Media Center Room B-75-77. The CE/SC application deadline (with all materials received in graduate admission) is March 15 for the fall semester and we only admit once a year. We offer a 12-credit Bilingual School Counseling advanced certificate exclusively for our candidates and CE/SC alumni. We await NYS approval to offer a 15-credit Mental Health Counseling bridge program as early as Fall 2020 with Spring admission process if approved. Candidates meeting our requirements with completed applications may be invited for group interviews on a Saturday in late April and decisions are announced in the ApplyYourself portal May 1. We have had 20+ person wait lists in recent years as admission is competitive. Successful candidates exceed admission requirements including AT LEAST a 3.0 GPA, strong writing skills, excellent letters of recommendation, and a successful group interview demonstrating exemplary verbal and interpersonal skills to become a professional school counselor.

EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS

B.A., Journalism/Religious Studies, Indiana University

M.S.Ed., in Counseling and Counselor Education, Indiana University

Ph.D., Counselor Education (CHDS), Kent State University.

National Certified Counselor (NCC)

Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) (IL, inactive).

EXPERIENCE

I am in my 27th year as a professor of counselor education and my 22nd year at Lehman. I have 10 prior years of counseling experience in middle school (MA), college student affairs (IN, NY), sexuality (IL, OH), family and couple (IL, IN, MA, OH), community mental health (IL, IN, MA, OH), and addiction (IN, MA) counseling settings. I am a school counseling program consultant in K-12 school districts in CT, DE, NJ, NY, and PA with the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education's Excellence & Equity Consortia and as the School Counseling Redesign consultant with Norwalk Public Schools, Norwalk, CT. I have been a visiting professor with master's students in school counseling at Taiwan's Shih Chien University  (2016 sabbatical); with master's and doctoral students in sexuality counseling at Taiwan's National Changhua University of Education (2007 sabbatical); and taught community mental health, family, and sexuality counseling for five years at National-Louis University in Chicago. I chaired an online doctoral dissertation in Counselor Education/School Counseling for Oregon State University (2014-15).  In 1999, I led the curriculum and fieldwork transformation of the CE/SC program curriculum at Lehman as a companion institution with the National Center for Transforming School Counseling (NCTSC) infusing the ASCA National Model school counseling program framework/artifacts (Hatch & Bowers) in 2002. In 2009 I collaborated with colleagues infusing the National Office for School Counselor Advocacy's (NOSCA) Eight components of college and career readiness counseling in the program, and in 2014, through my collaboration with the White House School Counseling/College Access convenings/Reach Higher initiative, co-authored Lehman's College Access Counseling course. I led the self-study for CE/SC program reaccreditation under the 2016 CACREP standards.  

GRANTS

My grants include:

• Co-authored a $1.2 million federal elementary counseling demonstration grant for 90 elementary schools in NYC and two demonstration sites in Harlem focused on transforming school counseling with advocacy, leadership, technology, use of data, and equity-assessment skills (2005-2008) as lead trainer
  • Co-authored $3K award from CUNY in 2015 to create the College Access Counseling course.

HONORS

• Alumni of the Year from the Counseling and Human Development Services program at Kent State University
  • Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD) Human Rights Award
  • Chi Sigma Iota (CSI), the international counseling honorary
  • Leader in the Field,  Microtraining & Associates
  • National Center for Transforming School Counseling's (NCTSC) Trailblazer Award
  • 'Ohana Honors Award from the American Counseling Association (ACA
  • Presidential Service Award, North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES)

LEADERSHIP

Memberships:

• American Counseling Association (ACA)
  • American Counseling Association of New York (ACA-NY)
  • American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, & Therapists (AASECT)
  • National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC)
  • New York Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NYACES)

I am a co-founder and past-president of Counselors for Social Justice (CSJ) and a past-president of the North Atlantic Region Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES), the Illinois Counseling Association (ICA), and the Illinois Association for Multicultural Counseling (IAMC). I am on the editorial board of the Journal for Counselor Preparation and Supervision, and on the advisory boards for the Evidence-Based School Counseling conference and DegreesNYC

In 2013, I was named to the New York State Education Department (NYSED) Steering Committee for the first New York State School Counselor Summit, and in 2014 named co-chair of the Counselor Education working group of the NYSED New York State School Counseling Advisory Council. In 2014 I wrote the draft recommendation language for revising New York State School Counselor regulations and the first state School Counselor Education graduate program regulations that were approved by the NYSED Board of Regents in 2017. I was an invited participant in the 2014-16 White House School Counseling/College Access convenings/Reach Higher initiatives. I co-chaired the Comprehensive Career and College Counseling Consortium of New York (CCCCCNY), and am a member of the group it morphed into: the Post-Secondary Education Policy Council of New York.

PUBLICATIONS & VIDEOS

BOOKS

• Double Dads One Teen: A Queer Family's Trailblazing Life in the USA and Taiwan (NY, NY: DIO Press, 2019, www.diopress.com @diopressinc).
  • 101 Solutions for School Counselors and Leaders in Challenging Times (Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, 2014) with Melissa S. Ockerman and E. C. M. Mason https://www.corwin.com/books/Book240523#tabview=reviews.
  • 兩個爸爸恰恰好: 台美同志家庭拓荒之旅 "Two Dads Are Just Fine," with Lance Chen-Hayes (Taipei, Taiwan: Bih's Space Publications, 2020, in press)
  • I am writing two additional books; one with Dr. Melissa Ockerman on ending access, admission, affordability, and other opportunity gaps in school/college/career counseling with Corwin Press. The next is on sexuality counseling in K-12 schools.
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS

I have written and/or co-authored 56 refereed research publications in 12 journals including: Contemporary Sociology; Counseling and Human Development; Excelsior: Leadership in Teaching and Learning; The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families; Journal of American College Health; 中文教学与研究 (Journal of Chinese Teaching and Research); Journal for Counselor Preparation and Supervision; Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education, and Development; Journal of Lesbian and Gay Social Services; Journal of Marital and Family Therapy; Journal of School Counseling; and Professional School Counseling; in book chapters in 16 edited volumes: Fundamentals of college admission counseling (3rd ed., 5th ed.) (National Association for College Admission Counseling, 2013, 2019); Dear gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender teacher: Letters of advice to help you find your way (Sapp & DeJean, 2017); Transforming the school counseling profession (1st-4th eds.) (Erford, 2002-2015); Professional identity in counseling (Sangganjanavanich & Reynolds, 2014); Creating school environments to support lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students and families: A handbook for school professionals (Fisher & Komosa-Hawkins, 2013); Casebook for counseling lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons and their families (Dworkin & Pope, 2012);  Deconstructing heterosexism in the counseling professions (Croteau, Lark, Lidderdale, & Chung, 2005); Critical incidents in addiction counseling (Kelly & Juhnke, 2005); School counseling principles (Sabella, 2005); Professional school counseling (Erford, 2004); Leadership, advocacy, and direct service strategies for professional school counselors (Perusse & Goodnough, 2004); The therapist's notebook for lesbian, gay, and bisexual clients (Whitman & Boyd, 2003); Days in the lives of counselors (Dingman & Weaver, 2003);  The career counseling casebook (Niles, Goodman, & Pope, 2002); Troubling intersections of race and sexuality: Queer students of color and anti-oppressive education (Kumashiro, 2001); and Advocacy in counseling (Lewis & Bradley, 2000).

STREAMING VIDEOS

• "Equity-focused school counseling: Career and college readiness for every K-12 student" (2009) with Proquest/Alexander Street Press/Microtraining (co-authored)
  • "Counseling LBGT youth in schools and families, Vols. 1, 2" (2000) with Proquest/Alexander Street Press/Microtraining. (co-authored)

PRESENTATIONS & PUBLIC SPEAKING

Having worked in an actor's equity theatre during high school in suburban Chicago (Illinois Theater Center) and having won awards for public speaking on my (Rich South) high school speech team, I developed an early love for public speaking. I have delivered invited keynote addresses and refereed conference presentations for local, state, national, and international academic and community audiences. I have delivered over 260 professional counseling and social justice education presentations in 35 USA states, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. 

SERVICE

I have experience on multiple academic committees at multiple higher education institutions, on multiple professional counseling association boards, and multiple homeowner association boards. I am in the Professional Staff Congress (PSC-CUNY) union, active with the Lehman PSC ChapterCUNY STRUGGLE and organizing for $7KorStrike for adjunct faculty, and have organized on anti-war, civil liberties, climate justice, economic justice, ending student debt, free college, gun control, human rights (anti-racism, anti-sexism, LGBT issues), labor rights, public education P-20, voting justice issues, and spoken at chapter and student government association co-sponsored events on immigration justice and social justice activism including LGBT rights, interpersonal violence, social justice, and voting justice. I am a member of @teachsolidarity, an international educator collective of unionists. I  have helped organize local student chapters and on issues including: anti-war; climate justice (opposing ELCON incinerator; DAPL, Keystone, PennEast and all other pipelines; promoting renewable alternatives like solar and wind power); economic justice/socialism; gun control; voting justice (end gerrymandering, create publicly financed elections, use of paper ballots, nonpartisan multi-party debates, weekend voting, online voting, ending voter suppression/ID laws, making election recounts mandatory and low-cost); and building participatory democracy through noncorporate third-party options. I am a former national and PA state delegate for the Green Party, a member of Democratic Socialists, the American Association of University Professionals, and the American Civil Liberties Union. From November of 2017-July 2019 I was elected, and served, as Judge of Elections in Newtown Township, PA prior to my relocation to New Jersey. As of the summer of 2019, I have become involved in organizing around the democracy movement and anti-police violence in Hong Kong and continue to organize and support Taiwan, Tibet and Uighurs against CCP repression.