Self-Reflection

Know thyself.

-Socrates

Leadership Experiences

Completing the leadership tasks and activities given to me throughout the course of the program has truly contributed to my development as a leader.  The tasks provided me with hands-on experiences in the role of leadership and alsao provided me with a great deal of insight in to the vast realm of duties a leader takes on.  It was through the dee and thoughtful reflection of these tasks that has made me self-aware of my strengths, needs, and weaknesses.  In additional, I gained practical experience on the daily routines and operations of a school building leader.

Some of the tasks that was especially uselful for me was the school counselor interview, integrated co-teaching observation, and Individualized Education Plan summary and analysis.  As a general education teacher, often I am not kept a breast of yhe issues surrounding special education in schools.  Additionaly, I gained valuable knowledge on the roles and duties of a school counselor, but more importantly, I learned how the school counselor can positively impact schools.

I found the various principal shadowing experiences beneficial as well.  It was exciting to get a true feel of what takes place before, during, and at the closing of school.  I was able to see the many hats my principal wears throughout the day and how the administrator must rely on delegating responsibilities onto others in order to effectively manage a school, especially since we do not have an assistant principal. I didn't initially realize the dozens of decisions during the course of the typical work day. Some of those decisions were simple, while others were much more complex and required careful consideration and the weighing of options.  At the start of the program, it was difficult for me to delegate and share responsibilities with my colleagues; however, after completing the leadership tasks and exercises, I could not imagine how a principal would be able to run a building without entrusting others in being responsible for school-related tasks.

Educational Improvement Plan

The Educational Improvement Plan is a highly feasible plan.  The school has already gained widespread support from all stakeholders including Central Office, school-based administration, staff and faculty, parents, and students.  The school building administrator supports the plan greatly and is committed to making positive educational change and improvement within the school.  According to the administration, the plan is feasible, realistic and reliable and as a result, it will be fully implemented at the onset of the September 2010 academic year.

One strength outlined in the plan is the clear goals and measurable objectives.  Having set those goals and objects early on, it set the foundation for the plan.  Another strength of the plan was gaining the widespread support of the faculty members.  Many teachers signed up to serve as a member of the Portfolio Committee so that they would have input into the direction the plan would take.  In addition, the budget section of the plan is clearly outlined and defined.  Though there is no allocated budget for this plan, I have identified all the hardware, software, and human resources and inventory needed to implement the project.

The process of developing an Educational Improvement Plan required the portfolio committee to consider how to introduce the portfolio to students, how the concepts should be presented, how training should be structured, and the optimal sequencing of these activities. This all had to be established prior to the initial student pilot.

Exposure to e-portfolios and its processes has really broadened my philosophy on forms of assessments.  My experience with e-portfolios has impacted my belief system positively. I feel that one of the most powerful driving forces of e-portfolios is its reflection component.  Through the art of reflection, I am given the chance to pay close, direct attention to past experiences and explore the concepts, skills, meaning and values of the experience in greater depth. Successful reflection enables personal growth through self-awareness and evaluation, and in turn promotes professional growth.  Having the opportunity to reflect on experiences and outcomes has led to a great deal of personal insight and meaning. 

One aspect of the plan that needs more development is evaluation.  The plan does not have a fully developed evaluation and communication plan embedded into it.  After a thorough review and reflection of this plan, I would add the following evaluative measures….

In order to evaluate the success of the project, the following evaluative systems will be put in place…

• Pre and post writing assessments will be implemented and evaluated to measure continued student growth in English Language Arts.
  • An increase on the 2010 English Language Arts Performance Results by ten through fifteen percentage points
  • Develop, maintain, and evaluate performance-based student formative and summative assessment data to measure growth
  • Pre and post teacher and student surveys to gauge for interest, technological proficiency, and commendations and recommendations for future projects.
  • Form a technology committee to meet quarterly to continually evaluate the success and progress of the e-portfolio project.  This committee will help design creative, engaging, relevant, and significant projects. In addition, this team will work with the school to ensure that the Technology Plan is implemented successfully at the school while determining professional development needs of the school.