My scholarly work to date has focused on Professional Development Schools (PDSs). PDSs are institutions designed to rethink the traditional structure for teaching and learning so as to create a new collaborative. The PDS collaboration is an integral part of educational reform efforts that link schools and universities in preparing teachers and improving student learning.

My publications, presentations and service are organized around two strands related to PDS collaboration: 1) creating, sustaining and improving PDSs and 2) developing quality teacher education programs. My work reflects my strong commitment to Urban Professional Development Schools. I believe it is of absolute importance that colleges of education look not only at teacher candidate preparation but also inservice teacher development and K-12 student achievement.

The Lehman College Division of Education has been engaged in Professional Development School (PDS) collaborations with schools in the Bronx since 2000. The Department of Early Childhood and Childhood Education have been partnering with two elementary schools PS 304 (grades PK-5) and PS 291 (grades K-4) for ten years. I have served as the College liaison for PS 304 since the inception of the collaboration, spending at least one day a week on site at the elementary school.

The primary goal of PDS partnerships is joint ownership for improving student learning. In a PDS, school and university partners create a collaborative environment that promotes both adult and children’s learning. Essentially there are four critical functions of PDSs: preparation of teachers for urban schools; improving student learning; professional development of college and school faculty and inquiry into PDS work. Professional Development Schools (PDSs) are institutions designed to rethink traditional structures for educating teachers and children. This collaboration builds community between schools and universities in an effort to better prepare and support teachers and college faculty for the purpose of improving student learning.