My philosophy of assessment and my perception of assessment has changed dramatically since being involved in the e-portfolio process. Its not that I did not value assessment, because I used assessment data as a teacher in the classroom to inform my reteach groups. However, I did not understand the value of pre-assessments and summative assessments. As teachers, we tend to do summative assessments and then reteach students based on the bottom line results. I now realize that pre-assessments are needed to inform the units that teachers plan to teach. The information gained from these pre-assessments should inform the changes and differentiation along the way. Currently, our school uses Acuity assessments to inform instructional decisions, and skill groups.

As it relates to Pre K - 12, the city uses ACUITY diagnostics, and predictives to compare student performance to peer schools. As a Literacy Coach, I provide holiday homework options to teachers in grades 4 and 5, and because of the experiences with our cohorts inquiry and after reading "Common Assessments," I now use data to create holiday homework. I also use recent data to inform professional developments I design around student performance and the implications on instruction. Once I started a dialogue with teachers about the strengths of their students (as per state standard indicators) and the areas in need of improvement, I started to see results!