Welcome Cohort 18 Science Immersion Fellows!

I am Dr. Angela Kelly, your academic advisor and the instructor for the course. I studied undergraduate chemistry at La Salle University in Philadelphia, and my graduate degrees in Science Education (M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.) and Curriculum & Teaching (Ed.M.) are from Teachers College, Columbia University. After teaching high school physics and chemistry for 8 years, I joined Lehman's Science Education Program in the Department of Middle & HIgh School Teaching.

My research interests include inequities in physics and chemistry access for urban youth, and pedagogical content knowledge in the physical sciences.

This course is geared towards beginning teachers of middle and high school science, incorporating the disciplines of biology, chemistry, Earth science, and physics. Constructivist science teaching methods will be experienced and modeled with topics drawn from the New York State Standards. Students will perform experiments suitable for middle and high school adolescents, and discuss issues regarding the teaching and learning of topics drawn from typical secondary science curricula. Topics will include various aspects of matter, motion, living systems, and energy.